Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Ramblings of a bummed out movie go-er and a worrying mom

This is not a review and I will not be giving away anything that happened in the movie.

I went to the movies - Stranger Than Fiction with Will Ferrell. I was sitting there enjoying the movie and all was well, until about an hour and 45 minutes into the movie when the theatre lights suddenly came on and a theatre employee runs in and informs us that there has been 'an issue in the theatre' and we should all meet in the lobby.

While we were all crammed into the lobby, I could see fire trucks outside the theatre and then I saw firemen going into a side exit. The managers gave us all rain checks and had us leave. So I headed home and got there just before the news. About half way through the news they started reporting on the breaking news. Turns out someone set off a sort of a bomb in the theatre - something about dry ice in a bottle. No injuries, but there was some damage, and the police don't know who was involved.

So, here I am wondering what happened to Harold Crick. (PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DON'T tell me!!!)

Anyway, back to being crammed into the lobby - I noticed some teens in there calling there rides to get home. These kids had t-shirts and no jackets and a cold front had come through earlier in the day so it was pretty cold and starting to snow. Plus, it took me about 2-3 times longer than usual to drive home because the roads were slick. So, I'm sitting there wondering (worrying) about these poor kids - what if there had been imminent danger (a bigger bomb, someone with a gun, a fire) and the evacuation was not to the lobby but directly outside? I got to thinking, what if my daughter had been there alone and had to wait for me to get there to pick her up?

I know that I'm a worrier, it bugs my kids and hubby when I get to thinking about things like this, but I just can't help it.

Well, let me know your thoughts on this .....

5 comments:

Ann said...

I know how you feel... I can't get my 15 year old to wear his coat when going to movies, mall, school, etc... at least he usually has a sweatshirt. I guess the way he'll learn is something like this will happen and he'll learn the hard way!

loonyhiker said...

I am a worrier too. Maybe you can make a plan of what if for your kids in case something should happen that they need to be picked up early. It would be good to start this young so by the time they are teens, the plan will be in place. I know some of my friends tell their kids to call home for a ride if their friends are drunk, stoned, or whatever. If they call home, no questions are asked. This seems to work for them.

Glynis said...

Yep, I agree -- I'm a worrier from day one. I always think that I need to teach my kids to prepare for everything...which is just not possible. But I keep trying!

carin.c said...

I worry all the time but aside from being aware of our surroundings we can't control others actions and we can't hide under a rock. Having an emergency plan sounds like a good way to alleviate some stress.

Unknown said...

I tend to worry about kids I see that seem to be in distress (and I can't think of anything much more stressful that what you went through). Guess that comes from being a mom.