Saturday, July 12, 2008

Ramblings of a Rocker

I love most kinds of music and will happily go to just about any live concert (though I do draw the line at heavy metal and hard core rap), but I'm definitely a rocker at heart. So when a friend mentioned that Journey was coming to Fiddlers Green in Denver with Heart and Cheap Trick opening - I was SO in!

Just one thing we were curious about, being children on the 80's - with Steve Perry not singing for Journey anymore, who was? Then I saw an interview with Journey on Good Morning America - they said that they were watching videos on youtube of band covering their songs and discovered Arnel Pineda from the Philippines - and when they played clips of him singing, I was completely amazed! All you have to do is close your eyes - he sounds so much like Steve Perry! I bought their latest album "Revelation" - a two disc album with a bonus DVD. Disc one was all new songs (I noticed that more than half the audience just sat down when they played the new songs because they were unfamiliar) and disc 2 was a 'greatest hits' of sorts, but re-recorded with Arnel on vocals. The DVD is a concert, which I still haven't watched.

Anyway, the concert was last Wednesday, the first stop on their American tour. Heart sounds as amazing as they always have. Journey was equally amazing - though it would be good if the lead singer would remember what band he is singing for, LOL! (He stumbled a bit over "Journey") Cheap Trick has only ever had a couple of songs that I liked, but they banged those out as good as ever. I am always amazed at the range of people who attend concerts. I saw children as young as 4 (which, IMHO, is ridiculous - way too young for a concert, I am hesitant to take my 15 year old son and 16 year old daughter to concerts) and rockers in their 60's!

I was hoping this video that someone posted to youtube would work, but I can't get it to embed, so here's the link
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7LICMjJAeFw

No comments: