Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Ramblings of a jewelry making fool!

So, I started this fabulous new business earlier this year .... Gems to Jewels!! It combines my love of crafting with my love of beautiful jewelry.

I have been making handmade jewelry since 2005, and shortly after starting I had several people ask if I could teach them. Well, I did several little classes for friends and fellow mom's clubbers, but really wanted to turn it into a viable business. I began searching for a good vendor or two where I could get everything that I wanted I began to feel like the industry falls hugely short. I don't want a huge beading store, and it seemed like I would need to purchase large minimum orders from several manufacturers in order to have the variety that I need.

Well, I thought, maybe a direct sales company so I can benefit from their larger purchasing power and advertising. Off on that search I went - I found about 5 companies that offer in-home jewelry making parties/classes/workshops, and contacted each. Within just a few hours Gems to Jewels had called me back (BTW - this was in January and I'm still waiting to hear from all but one of the others)

I did my research on the internet, since the other companies really weren't interested enough in having any more consultants to send information, and found that one of the 5 is really a boutique type business that offers a few of their products in kits that you can put it together yourself. The other 3 are pre-made make 'n take type.

Gems to Jewels really stands out - they offer real gemstones and sterling silver components, all sold by the component. This means that you can attend a workshop and create a meaningful piece or set that reflects your personality using gemstones that are special to you, at a price that suits your budget. You can design and complete or the consultant can finish for you. And in the end, you get a one of a kind piece that is heirloom quality!

Anyway, I obviously chose Gems To Jewels, and am loving it!!

No comments: